Saturday, September 3, 2011

Courtesy of Allen Pogue




Levade on pedestal


Levade


Pesade

terra a terra 03
Balanced rear

The Circus "NO SPIN ZONE": Courtesy of Allen Pogue



Hi Wade,
Don't worry I have been on the internet long enough not to get my feathers ruffled by an anonymous critic, even when they are way off base.
Sacha Houcke has never trained a horse with a clicker or target stick and I never made any statement to that effect. I know he thinks that stuff is as silly as I do.
Regarding a levade I will attach a dated picture my horse Hasan executing a proper levade ( from the time period refered to) and will offer a friendly challenge to 'anonymous' to post a better one and I will not expect him to show a horse he trained doing it on a raised dais like Hasan used to do. Likewise I will attach three pictures taken at about the same date showing the difference between a levade, a pesade and a balanced rear, also a "picture perfect" courbette and something that Hasan was most expert at doing, 'terre a terre' on long reins.
I have never seen any horse that would snap their front legs up tight and hold the pose inbetween tidy 2-beat canter strides like Hasan.
I have no problem with critics because the demeanor and performance of my horses can always provide a much better rebuttal than anything I might have to say.
again thanks for providing a great forum,
Allen Pogue
Dripping Springs, Texas
FYI ( privately) Johnny Herriot asked about my background and out of respect I gave him a pretty complete reply. If an anonymous troll has an issue with a self-taught individual that can rise out of obscurity sounds like some sort of personal problem not of my making.

"Allen,
Hasan looks much happier doing a "levade" in 2001 with a nose band(or is it a cavesson, I can't really tell?) then he does in 2003 with a gaping mouth. Does the gaping mouth not indicate resistance? In 2001 the lines are relaxed, with a slight contact and you are more in position directly behind the horse, although I still don't see the roundness/collection in the back. In 2003(second picture) the lines are are very tight and I note the addition of a check rein. Animal training basic 101 is that behaviors/tricks are a progression of one behavior/trick leading into another, such as a bow leading into a lay down, leading into a sit. Philippe Karl former director and instructor at l'Ecole Nationale de'Equitation describes a pesade thusly, "Total mastery of balance and the ultimate in collection are achieved in the Pesade. Starting from the Piaffer, if the trainer increases the engagement of the hind legs and the lowering of the croup, there will come a moment when the legs are so lightened that the horse can take both forefeet off the ground and stay poised on his hind legs for a few moments. For a good Pesade, it is important that the horse should go into and come out of the air slowly and gracefully, appearing relaxed and maintaining his roundness."

In your Pesade picture with Hasan he doesn't appear to be relaxed and round. It seem's he has been "pulled" into the pesade as indicated by his elevated nose and raised chest. It doesn't appear that there was a progression of movement from the Piaffer into the Pasage, like the progression of bow/lay down/sit.

Do you use a draw rein in the training/long lining of your horses? If so why, and what is the purpose of a draw rein? Out of curiosity, why do you use a kimberwick bit instead of a basic ring/D snaffle in your training. Or are you transitioning from a ring snaffle to a shank/curb bit.


No comments: