Thursday, September 1, 2011

Pegasus???




In my opinion, this is a prime example of humiliating a horse. Although Pegasus is of course mythology, and like the unicorn has never actually been seen, the accepted vision of the winged horse is that he is white, not grey, but white. The "wings" used for this exhibition are as cheap and amateurish as you can get. If you are going to use a palomino, at least spend some money and make palomino wings. I have only seen "Pegasus" done well, very well, once. The horse was a white, pink skinned, half Arabian, half welsh stallion named General Vargas. A fortune was spend on the most realistic, elaborate wings imaginable. When General ran into the smoke shrouded ring under black light's, leaping, jumping, frolicking and rearing it was a sight to behold indeed. It made you think that maybe, just maybe, there actually was a "Pegasus." General Vargas was also trained to do a high school routine, but the act concluded with him being made to sit in a "chair/throne" which again, in my opinion is a humiliating thing to teach a horse, and they all look silly "sitting." The 3 months I was on the same show with General Vargas I watched "Pegasus" every night. I can't tell you what his high school act was like because after watching it once, and seeing it conclude with him sitting in a chair/throne I never watched it again.

The Circus "NO SPIN ZONE": 08/21/11

"making a horse sit up on anything, bean bag, pedestal, or ground is not visually appealing and makes a majestic creature like the horse look silly and ridiculous. Next to the bow, one of the easiest things to teach a horse." Wade Burck

I don’t find my horse bowing as demeaning. Do you not bow after a performance? I don’t know about you but I don’t bow out of submission, but to show my appreciation for the adoration of my fans and their applause. Riz aka The Turban cowboy

Riz, "Next to the bow, one of the easiest things to teach a horse." I didn't say a bow was demeaning. A bow done well is one of the most graceful, beautiful behaviors a horse can be taught to do(as well as making mounting easier on tall horse's.) Do you not bow after a performance? No, I do not and never have. The reason being is that when I was first taught how to style, the man doing the teaching instructed me never to bow as bowing like in the Japanese culture was a sign of submission/acceptance of the superiority of the person you are bowing to, or apology for what you had just presented to the public.





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember General Vargas-- nine times out of ten he would crap in the chair ... after a while it looked like that was what he was trained to do . . . the clown in me always thought it would have been funnier if the chair had been a toilet . . .

Bruce the clown

The Turban Cowboy! said...

Three things people will never agree on...Religion, Politics and Horse Training.

What one finds appealing another may not.

Wade G. Burck said...

Turban,
The way I heard it was, "the only thing 2 horse trainers can agree upon, is that the 3rd one is doing it wrong." That is why discussion and debate is so important. "What one finds appealing" may be a misconception. open debate like a combine will separate the grain from the chaff or fact from BS.

Wade