Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Early success in at the Kansas City Zoo and cooperation with Topeka and Dallas Zoo's

Big Man at the age of 2 years, Kansas City Zoo who sired Tiffany below who was born July 15, 1968. Her mother was Jungle Jeannie. Kansas City had a "barbaric gorilla facility" which was pictured earlier, but they also had a pretty good director who worked at breeding gorillas.
These photo were kindly given to me by Gary K. Clarke The picture below shows Tiffany and Max born at the Dallas Zoo on March 7, 1969 the day they arrived at the Topeka Zoo on October, 15, 1969. How many people have seen Gary K Clarke's "world famous Kawabunga photo album?"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am from Kansas city and thought I knew Big Man as Big Mac my whole life but I can't find any info I am looking for any and all history of the gorilla big man or big Mac if possible along with offspring and where they are located, if you can point me in the right direction or send info it would be greatLy appreciated. My email addy is jadastwin@ hotmail.com

Jerry F said...

I remember both Big Man and Big Mac when Big Man died I think around very late 70s or 1980, then McDonalds donated the money for the new ape and he was named Big Mac. I have not found much information on them online.

Anonymous said...

I went to South East High school which was across the street from swope park. We ran track thru the zoo sometimes. One Day my friend who's name was John Howard and I skipped school and hid out in the Gorilla House. We stayed there all day long talking with Big Man. We both got a hot dog and a soda for lunch, Big man was eyeing our lunch and stuck his hand out of his cage John went over and saw the he was very interested in the soda that we had in the wax coated paper cup. So John with two fingers handed it to big man who with great dexterity brought it back in the cage and looked it over very carefully. He then slowly poured out the soda and ate the cup... I will never forget that day.. Also we both got grounded for skipping school but it was worth it to spend the day with Big Man............Donnie