Sunday, May 4, 2008

Maybe it just depends on who you are talking to? Much like the "insanity/inbredness" of White tigers?

This comment is under the below Harriet/elephant act photo:
"That's probably Eddie Allen. This act was thrown together almost overnight and I remember hearing that during the dress rehearsal at the Chicago Coliseum "Anna May" went right thru the arena and back to the picket line. For some time afterward she was accompanied by another elephant that stood outside the arena as a steadying influence."
Buckles

Do you suppose I am the only one who noticed the elephant on her knees, or doesn't anyone want to point it out. I saw GGW's riding act, and I saw Louis Knies riding act, and I had a riding act, and I don't recall an elephant ever going to their knees, to let the felines mount. As everyone has had the opportunity to put a patch in the Beatty/GGW debate. I would like to offer my final words. As stated, I appreciate what Clyde did, "in that more acceptable era." The problem I have is with statements like this one below from a knowledgeable animal man. The "boosting" of the fame and greatness and unsuspecting folks taking it as gospel.

From Dave Price #2



steelarena314 said...

Notice the top of the safety cage was not placed in this shot. If the door bouncer had actually gotten into the safety cage with Mr. Beatty, had he noticed the top gone, he could have clambered out. In my time with him, we had a brand new safety cage top that was kept lashed to the spare animal gate section, on the roof of 78 Wagon, and never installed.
The reason for not using it was never explained to me.

Roger Smith

03 May, 2008 14:43

My censored comment:

Roger my friend,

Maybe it was never used because it was not necessary. Now that it seems the conclusion has been reached that Clyde had what is now a new word in animal training lingo, a "defensive style" as opposed to "subjugation/American style" we have to assume as stated they were out to "eat" him. Supposing that is the case, look at the size of the safety cage. On the off chance a cat, did get in there, and still assuming that he is trying to "eat" Clyde, I would suggest he would be doing just that by pulling him into the arena, instead of trying to escape over the top in that small area. Heidiger points out, that fear is the only thing that will motivate an animal to attempt to "escape." If we accept "defensive style", is that in reference to Clyde or the cats? Come on Roger, with your experience you are not supposed to buy that, the public is. The State of Tennessee now requires nets over the cat cages. I suggest they have been reading too many old authorized autobiography's.

Wade Burck

No comments: