Monday, May 5, 2008

A Celebration of Pigs--One of my most cherished assignments, Toronto Zoo, Toronto Canada

The idea of a pig show was the brain child, of the Bowmanville Zoo Director, to promote the arrival of Wart hogs at the Toronto Zoo. I trained the pigs in Bowmanville before moving them into Toronto. I trained the pigs using a method I had seen the sea Mammal trainers using at Marine land to train Whale. I only switched rewards. They used fish, and I used Captain Crunch cereal. The idea of an "animal show" at Toronto was initially controversial to the PC zoo. They were concerned because I was a "circus trainer" would I use whips and chrome props. I assured them I would not need a whip to train a pig, and we would make everything out of "natural" wood. Plus I would train a pig to recycle garbage, and give an "ecological message". That calmed there fears, enough that they, many months later, roasted a dozen pigs, and had clowns making balloon pigs, at the opening night "members only" preview show at the Toronto Zoo. Don't get me started on hypocrisies and profiling. My circus fraternity disapproved of my zoo association, and my Zoo fraternity disapproved of my circus association. I never cared, I just wanted to train animals and care for them and my family.

No comments: