Friday, March 30, 2012

Khloe Kardashian quits PETA, 'disgusted' by flour bombing of Kim


Khloe Kardashian is cutting off her support for PETA in the wake of her sister Kim Kardashian's flour bombing at a perfume launch and charity event last week.

"I just received word that the woman responsible has very close ties to PETA, despite PETA publicly stating otherwise," Khloe wrote Monday on her blog. "Not only has PETA lied to the public, but they have proved that they support this kind of behavior."

The woman suspected in the attack, Christina Cho, has a history of conducting fur protests under the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals banner, TMZ said Monday. Michelle Cho, Christina's younger sister and PETA's senior communications manager , went on record in 2009 saying that big sis was an activist for the group "years before" little sis joined.

Christina Cho was detained by security but released at the scene, and Kim Kardashian told sheriff's officials at the time that she was not interested in filing a complaint. A PETA spokesperson told Celebuzz days later that they were prepared to pay legal fees on the alleged flour-bomber's behalf, and Kimmie told E! News that she was "just going to think" about pursuing a complaint.

"Now that I think about it and had some time to digest it, I think, 'What if that was some other substance? What if that person had a dangerous weapon?' It's scary," she said Monday.

But back to the activism: Khloe Kardashian had indulged in a little of her own back in December 2008, posing nude for a PETA ad that communicated the message, "Fur? I'd rather go naked." Irony? She was recruited by Michelle Cho. Her message via Twitter on Thursday, after the incident at the London Hotel was a bit more family first: "I wish I was with my sister tonight," she wrote. "I bet you that woman wouldn't have dared tried a thing...."

"I’ve been a vocal supporter of PETA for a long time," Khloe said Monday on her blog, "but I have also been very vocal about anti-bullying, so this was a huge disappointment for me. As you all know, I don’t condone violence and bullying and what happened last Thursday was just that. I am absolutely disgusted by their behavior.

Fur still won't be a part of her wardrobe, she said, but she will no longer support the controversial group.

"I personally don’t wear fur but that doesn’t mean I am going to force my views on anyone else, ESPECIALLY by violating them. ... Bullying and harassment is NEVER a solution, and I won't be a part of any organization that thinks otherwise."

[Updated, 8:20 p.m. March 26: "We appreciate that Khloe will remain on the animals' side by not wearing fur — that's what counts," PETA said Monday evening in a statement. "If one of our volunteers is responsible, it doesn't alter the fact that no animal deserves to be electrocuted, shot, or poisoned for a bit of fur clothing. Khloe is just defending her sister, and we know she has a good heart, so we wish her well. We just wish she also had more influence on her sister."]

Courtesy of Casey Gibbs

No comments: