Sunday, June 26, 2011

Vintage Jungle Larry's African Safari at Caribbean Gardens

Above is the famous "Toucan Sign" which was installed in the 1950's to direct visitors to Caribbean Gardens. Correct me if I am wrong Bob Cline, but did it stand on the corner of Goodlette Road and old highway 41? Due to structural damage during hurricane Wilma it was dismantled and the Toucan has been given a place of honor, below at the African Safari.



Jungle Larry and Walt Galloway in early 1960. Walt was the Manager/Head Curator at Caribbean Gardens/Jungle Larry's African Safari in Naples Florida when I went there to work in 1973,

The home of Jungle Larry and Safari Jane Zoo in Chippewa Lake Ohio, 1961

1 comment:

Bob Cline said...

Wade,
That sign was down when I worked for them if I recall correctly. Great set of Pics. I loved the Chippewa Lake gift shop / Entrance. Been a long time since I saw anything from there.
Thanks.
Bob