Wednesday, May 25, 2011

San Antonio Zoo New Hippo Exhibit in "Africa Alive"









WILDLIFE CONSERVATION - Jones & Jones Architecture and Landscape ...

Credit given to Jones & Jones, you can sure create the "illusion" of more space and thus in the public eye more happiness. This exhibit was most assuredly the most popular the day I was at the zoo, in fact viewing was difficult given the line of people pressed up against the class. I had to come back an hour later to be able to view it. Later I went back to the closed WPA facility pictured below( because I love old zoo exhibits), and I really didn't get it. With the exception of a tad bit more real estate(which could have been gotten by knocking down a wall or two), it didn't appear any better or worse then the new exhibit. It even had the cloudy green water. The only difference I could see was you looked down at the hippos, and in the new facility you looked up at them, or viewed them through disintegrated clouds of feces. The fish had their work cut out for them, that's for sure.

1 comment:

Ryan Easley said...

I am not sure how impressed I am with the new exhibit. Although the former exhibit may be 'outdated' by today's trends, I appreciate it for its history. Overhead viewing of animals like these has never interested me. I suppose the water is deeper in the new exhibit, but perhaps for nationwide traveling zoo enthusiasts, underwater viewing of hippos is more and more common and has lost its uniqueness. Underwater bear viewing interests me more, perhaps because it is newer but also with more clear viewing. I also supposed the indoor facilities have improved as well. The only off-exhibit indoor holding for hippos I have seen is at the Dickerson Park Zoo.