Sunday, April 10, 2011

Marineland of Florida Revisited










The last photo in this set of the Dolphin Restaurant and Tavern is dated 1939, the the date's are unknown for the linen cards, possibly in the 1950's. The menu at the top is most likely pre 1976. We know that because a well known restaurant in Venice Florida had a "Gunther Gebel Williams Steak" on it's menu, and I understand Marineland Florida added a "Jim Alexander Codfish Sandwich with Special Tarter Sauce" the following year to their menu, and it is not listed yet on this menu suggesting it was printed before the new menu, with the popular sandwich listed, which eventually outsold the Golden Arch's by a couple of dozen sales.

3 comments:

Jim A. said...

You forgot to mention the sandwich came with handcut french fries and homemade coleslaw.

I think we're talking about the same restaurant at Marineland. The bar was made to look like a ship and it gently rocked up and down, like a teeter-totter. Next to the photo of me in the helmet is a photo of my wife Kathy sitting at the bar. The bar still rocked as of a few years ago. I understood someone was going to move it to another location.

Wade G. Burck said...

Jim,
Interesting. I understood the bar only rocked after 6 cocktails. Red Hartman claimed his trailer did the same thing after 6 cocktails. Double interesting, because I think that rocking bar is where I first met your future wife Kathy also. Crash rim shot..........
Wade

Greg May said...

In 2005 the world's original oceanarium was demolished - even after being placed on the National Register of Historic Places! Read about my fascination for Marineland at www.florida-backroads-travel.com. See my 100th visit to Marineland on YouTube: Man Makes 100th Visit to Marineland