Monday, March 28, 2011

Vintage Hagenbeck?


I have had this beautiful post card in my collection for a number of years, and always assumed it was from the old Hamburg Zoo, but I have also read references to "The Terrarium" in books about the tierpark at Stellington, near Hamburg. I can't identify the monument/marker in the center. Does anyone know where it was or if it is still standing today? If it was at Hamburg Zoo I assume it is gone. Often times in attempting to read and comprehend German zoo book's with my limited comprehension, I get confused on whether they are talking about the tierpark or the zoo. The fact that Carl Hagenbeck had his hand's in both of them makes it confusing, as do old pictures or postcard unless there is an identifiable landmark, which often times just label a tierpark photo as "Hamburg".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There were two zoos in Hamburg! The Zoological Garden Of Hamburg (Opened 1863, closed 1930) and Tierpark Hagenbeck (Opened in 1907 - today)! The picture above is the Terrarium of the Zoological Garden. With Kind Regards from Henstedt-Ulzburg (Germany) Derek