Sunday, January 9, 2011

Vintage Marineland and Game Farm


Famed author and social commentator Kinky Friedman, whom I admire very much, was quoted "I have made it my life's mission to tell people who are richer then me, and more successful in running a business then me, how they should spend their money and run their business." LOL That said, I will take the Kink's lead and suggest that in my opinion John Holer has made two horrendous mistakes in building his empire and getting rich. Above is the Marineland stadium in the late 70's when it was known as the Wade Burck Stadium. Below is the same stadium in 2008, only the name has been changed to the King Waldorf Stadium, because of some goofy "fish" with tusks. Big, big blunder and I'll tell you why. If you changed the name of the Madison Square Garden to, let's say, the IPod Center folks would still buy a ticket, but they wouldn't cherish it or remember it with the same love and affection that they will always remember Madison Square Garden. Same deal with changing the name of the revered Wade Burck Stadium to the King Waldorf Stadium. They are still buying ticket's, but you can bet there is not the same fondness that there was for the Wade Burck Stadium!!!!! Nuff said. That's business blunder one.


Insane blunder number two was redesigning the whole layout and flooring of the Wade Burck Stadium, almost putting an end to the Burck tiger training dynasy forever. What am I talking about? I'll explain. Below is my son Adam, who used to sit in a chair every show by the arena and watch me, if he wasn't out playing with John Holer Jr. on the playground. In the photo above right smack in the middle of the castle tower and waterpark slide that has been added, is where Adam would have been sitting in his chair, watching the tiger act and studying the master. If John Holter Sr. had messed up and built "Camelot" on the stage in the 70's, Adam would have either been in the dressing room or out playing with Johnny, and most likely doing something else today, besides training tigers. That's what I am talking about!!!!!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wade, Did Marineland pay you in Canadian dollars? (Just kidding.) Sincerely Paul