Tuesday, April 7, 2009

For Casey--"Playing For Change. Peace Through Music"--A Truly Remarkable Undertaking

http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2539741


Mark Johnson traveled around the globe and recorded tracks for classic songs, creating a new mix in which essentially the performers are all performing together — worlds apart. Often recording with just battery-powered equipment, Johnson found musicians on street corners or in small clubs and they would in turn gather their friends and colleagues. The unique composition of the film has musicians playing together yet in their own traditions and style.

The Playing For Change Foundation provides resources (facilities, supplies, educational programs, etc) to musicians and communities around the world. The foundation is working with South African poet Lesego Rampolokenga to build the Mehlo Arts Center in Johannesburg, South Africa and building and supporting the Ntonga Music School in the South African township of Guguletu. In addition, Playing For Change is working to enhance and rebuild Tibetan refugee centers in Dharamasala, India and Kathmandu, Nepal. You can find news about their benefit concerts and programs, on their Web site: Playingforchange.com.


Playing For Change | Song Around The World "One Love" from Concord Music Group on Vimeo.


Playing For Change | Song Around the World "Don't Worry" from Concord Music Group on Vimeo.

Courtesy of Jeannie

5 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Wade, this is remarkably beautiful. We saw the documentary on TV. Thank you for posting it.
Jeannie, thank you for sending it in.
Mary Ann

Mary Ann said...

Addendum to Wade, I found the bearded Frenchman on the rooftop in the third video incredibly sexy, but you probably liked the belly dancer.
Mary Ann

Wade G. Burck said...

Mary Ann,
Actually, I would love to have a shot at Tula from Tel Aviv. She's a beauty and sounds like an Angel.
Wade

The Swabbie said...

Wade,

I dont want to hijack your blog, but you have some great articles. I just happen to see your name and looked you up. You and I became friends many years ago when our kids played flag football back in Venice. My name is Jim Speed, my wife at that time was Angela (not anymore thank God). You lived in Venice Gardens and we were over on Briarwood. I was there the day those idiot boys stood on your boots and started talking trash. I still tell that story.

I hope you are doing well. My wife "Sheila" and I dont live in Venice anymore. We left back in 2005.

Drop me a line on my blog or email me at jimbospeed@gmail.com, i'd love to catch up with you and see how life is treating you.

Take care old friend,

Jim Speed

John said...

You good folk might care to know that I went to see a circus the other day. It must have been at a weekend, and in good weather, because there were people outside with placards.