Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Steve Robinson--Who do I believe?

Steve, In regards to Hans Brick, who I don't know any more then this gentleman. Do I question or accept what I have heard, irregardless of whether they were "grinding an ax" or on a "publicity tour". Who do we believe? Do I accept the History Channels version of Ralph Helfer or the version of his publisher Harper Collins?

"Ralph Helfer is a well-known Hollywood animal behaviorist who was one of the first to use affection and kindness to train wild animals. He lives in Los Angeles and Kenya, where he leads safari tours."

Or do I weight who is telling me and why, and hope they don't get upset if I ask for verification?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sheesh Wade [your argumentative lordship!] - sooner or later you've got to believe something ...... even if it's only your own gut instinct!

I don't want to go to war about poor old Mr Brick - he's been dead for 30 odd years. BUT - whether you rate him as a trainer or not, whether people tell you good things or bad things it doesn't matter because what he, himself wrote in his book makes a lot of sense and gives us an insight into the way he thought about animals and approached the whole training thing. MY gut instinct tells me that he was on the right track.

I don't know anything about Helfer but I've got two of his books here and MY gut instinct tells me that they are fairy stories. Whether I'm right or wrong is immaterial.

Wade G. Burck said...

Steve,
You sound like a priest presented with dinosaur bones, and DNA. "You must have faith, my child." LOL
Al right next question, what is it that leads you to believe that Helfer wrote fairy tales? If you didn't know animals and were a young man looking for "tips."
Regards mate,
Wade