Thursday, August 14, 2008

As we get set to decide who saved the Circus for the 1000th time, Art Concello or Irvin Feld, I want to ask, "who is going to save it this time?

This belies the myth that Irvin Feld personally saved the Ringling Show, at this point he was one of many promoters. Ringling Bros. 1961 Buckles Woodcock

Now watch this "promoter" kick ass. Wade Burck
A rare shot of Irvin Feld in 1967, around the time he acquired the circus, with actress Carol Lawrence at the Garden in NYC. 6 years after the first photo
Feld and Gunther at winter quarters in Venice--This was Gunther's Roman riding outfit and I believe this photo was shot in 1969 This "promoter" wasn't fooling around, asking for advise was he? 8 years after the first photo
In rehearsals Irvin Feld decided that once around the track wasn't enough for the kids so an extra half-lap was added. Ringling Bros. Barnum and Bailey 1979. In 12 years the "promoter" took 1967 to the moon. About the same length of time, it took rodeo to become the NFR, and World Wrestling Federation, to become World Wrestling Entertainment. I suggest he was a "life saver" in addition to a "promoter."
"I remember Don Foote saying that Irvin Feld hated dark colors and it took him several years of lobbying to finally get this costume in the show. Buckles Woodcock
"That's true, because he didn't like my black one either" Wade Burck

He added that it received such tremendous response that Mr. Feld began to dislike it even more." Buckles Woodcock

"And that's also correct, because he didn't like Black 3 years later in 1984" Wade Burck

And even as late as 1981, the "promoter" Irvin Feld didn't have a clue. How can we we expect his son and granddaughter to do anything else, other then to trash and destroy it even more in the future. God I hope we get a better "qualified" pilot in the cockpit soon. Man, where are the Concellos with their folding seats, and the Davenports with their grift when this plane is trying to fly with a broken stabilizer/rudder.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was always my favorite GGW outfit and Kongo blanket.

Wade G. Burck said...

Darryl,
This is my favorite one also. Roy Horn wore a similar style and color in Vegas as this same time. I had possession of that blanket for a year, after it was no longer used. I came upon it in a round about way. Honesty made me tell them about it and give it back. I would be lying if I didn't say I considered not saying anything. It truly spoke, The Greatest Show on Earth.
Wade