Wednesday, August 24, 2011

VintageTemple Farm Lipizzans--1969 Presidential Inaugural Parade for Richard Nixon


Conversano Duba, ridden by Peter Szalla; Pluto Ancona, ridden by Adolf Athenstaedt; and Favory Farsang, ridden by Wolfgang May


When I was honored by a meeting with President Richard Nixon in 1984 at the then Meadowland's Arena, I brought up the subject of his inaugural parade and the Lipizzan horses as I had always thought it was a big deal. He looked at me blankly and said "you must have been mistaken. I had to bite my tongue to keep from replying, "Geez, your shitting me, right?" In one of my rare, rare moment's of diplomacy I instead said, "Maybe I was mistaken"(although there wasn't much chance of that) and the conversation turned to the New Jersey Devils and the playoffs against the New York Rangers.

1 comment:

Casey Gibbs said...

Thanks for sharing this Wade a lot of detailed info about General Patton and the US Army and what they did.