Thursday, July 14, 2011

For "Doubting Thomas" Glenn Sullivan

Forget giraffe. Every morning I arise at 5:00 and watch the sun rise over some of the most beautiful mountain's you would ever want to see. It has been difficult to be so near to that beauty, yet so far away. I couldn't stand it any more, and yesterday after a really good practice session, I decided that today was the day I was going to go up there after I learned it was a designated Iguana sanctuary/protected area. I got a cab to take me up a mile from the base before the road ran out. After walking the last mile I found a "world class stable" see below, where 70 year old vaquero Manny Ramirez has lived for most of his life.

Although we couldn't understand each other very well, I managed to convince him to let me "borrow" on of his two horse's for only 1oo peso's(less then 10 dollars). Manny kind of pointed me in the general direction and I headed up.



It was a great feeling as I left Manny's "estate" above and the last vestige's of man behind.

I guess I stayed up there longer then I should have, because I got caught in a blinding rain storm which stopped just as I reached the base. I just gave Manny's horse his head and he found the way back to Manny's place sliding most of the way down. Six iguana passed in front of me on this trail, but disappeared so fast, I couldn't get the iphone out fast enough to photograph them. I hope to get back up there at the end of the week. What a wondrous world we live in, if you get away from man's folly.

2 comments:

Dennis said...

Wade. Thanks for posting the photos. I fell off the wagon (viewing your blog) for awhile. But I'm well again.
I love Mexico as much as you do. I'm happy your seeing it again.
Dennis Younger

Wade G. Burck said...

Dennis,
No place like it in the world. No air's, no arrogance, no "I am better then you". Just plain folk. The cities suck, as all cities suck, but get out of that and into the country and around the farmers, ranchers and cattlemen, and it's as close as I imagine what heaven would be like. North Dakota without the snow.
Wade