Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Man, I can't catch a break!!


A couple of hour's ago, my ears started burning and I didn't know why. Then I received this picture from my sister, Greta and I knew the gig was up, and why my ears were on fire. Grit's(my sister) and my dear mother Gertrude, on the right are visiting Adam and Elaine in Minot, N. D. and got together with the lady on the left. That is Miss Georgene Dislevy, my 3rd grade teacher and one of the "special people" who have been a part of my life. I have thought of her often over the year's and the sound advise she offered in my youth(do you remember the crystal rock, that disappeared from show and tell, Miss Dislevy?) She came to see me when I was in Bismark with Ringling Bros. and now has gotten the chance to see my son Adam. I am so grateful for that.

I want to go on record right now publicly, and to my Mother as saying "don't listen to a single thing she say's. She's just making things up because she like's to cause trouble. None of it is true, and it's all just a big, fat lie."


I just got off the phone with Miss Dislevy and I am on cloud nine. Whoa, the memories. Turtle Lake where both my father and Miss Dislevy taught school and we were all black and gold Trojan's along with the best mother in the world. Getting to play in the gym with my brother Keith by ourselves on Saturday because Dad had the key, and that was a perk. Norbert Borth's Store where you could get just about anything, groceries, cloths, jewelry, shoe's, fresh meat with a slaughter house behind the store where we got free bone's to take home for our Boxer, King. Frankie Bauer selling car's at the dealership. The drug store where I used to buy Roy Rogers and Illustrated Classic's comic books for 12 cents a piece. With a high dollar weekly allowance of 25 cents, I could buy two comics and a baseball sized jawbreaker. I don't think you paid tax until you totaled 100.00. Picketing my pony Dynamite for the summer beside the football field behind the house, and in the fall when he was taken back to Uncle Ralphs place for the winter there were a couple of dozen 50' round circles of nubbed off grass that needed to re grow through the winter.

I have been to a lot of places in the great world that we live in, but I have yet to find a place as grand, as wonderful, and as beautiful as my beloved North Dakota. I was so very, very lucky.

1 comment:

FRANK CURRY said...

TO WADE!
Minot, North Dakota brings back wonderful memories of clowning and fighting bulls at the annual Y's Men Indoor Winter RODEO and watching great saddle bronc riders attempt to ride legendary NORTH DAKOTA saddle broncs.

And driving nonstop, with my wonderful, little, trained mule, Jasper, from Beaumont, Texas up to work the big summer, outdoor RODEO at the MINOT FAIR!!