Wednesday, April 27, 2011

God Bless The Roughrider State!!!!!

Circus Begins


This year's Shrine Circus is now under the big top at the Minot Auditorium with a North Dakota flavor in one of the favorite acts.

The exotic cats open the Shrine Circus this year under the direction of Adam Burck.

View Photo Slideshow


Adam is the son of former Hawthorne trainer Wade Burck, who grew up in Turtle Lake, North Dakota.

At 18, Wade moved to Naples, Florida, to work with exotic animals.

Enchanted by a local circus performance, Wade joined the circus and trained tigers for 37 years before his retirement in 2006.

He was the first to introduce rare white tigers to the circus ring.

Adam began his career traveling with his father as an assistant and has now been training cats on his own for ten years.

(Adam Burck/Tiger Trainer) "Naturally when I became old enough, he asked me if that's what I wanted to do. I said, 'Sure, I'll give it a try.' He taught me how to do it and I've been doing it ever since."

Adam says that while the character of the tigers can be comparable to that of a house cat, the danger factor of a ten pound house cat compared to his 600 pound tigers keeps him on his toes. watch the video |

'As Johnny Clines groom, the immortal Shorty told me years ago, "Minot Auditorium!!! Now you have finally hit the BIG TIME!!!"

But the Bismark Civic Center is MY HOUSE, I own it!!!! LOL

I love you son, and am so proud of you. Please be safe, Pops'





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

37 years in the arena, Wade? Really?
Resume, please.

Adam "on his own" for 10 years? Which means he began in 2001?

Who did the math for this article?

Wade G. Burck said...

Anonymous,
I realized that when I posted this, and wondered what moron would note it. Thank you for stepping up.
You either are a jealous whiner, or you have never done much in the way of live interviews. This is the only direct quote in the article(FYI that's the two little slashes at the beginning and end):

(Adam Burck/Tiger Trainer) "Naturally when I became old enough, he asked me if that's what I wanted to do. I said, 'Sure, I'll give it a try.' He taught me how to do it and I've been doing it ever since."

On Shrine dates, and smaller town new's source's(the big national publications like People, Sport's Illustrated, Wall Street Journal have a fact checking dept) you are often misquoted, or misunderstood about 60% of the time, with interview such as this usually taking place quickly, to get something for the evening addition for the "good old Shrine", as has been done for the last 60 or so years often using half of what was used in previous years confusing dates/times etc.
You are either setting up, have just finished working or getting ready to, or are in some other capacity "busy as a rat in a tin shit house." Very much different from sitting in a studio, the comfort of your trailer, or at a prearranged point and time, as we see in the WFE interview below(did you want me to pick out the error's or are you capable of that?)
I recall an interview Adam did last year where the interviewer asked him just before the show if he "fed the tigers before the show", and what "he did if they got sick." Adam told him, "I personally feed the tigers after the last show, and if they are sick I give them any medication they may need myself, unless it is something serious and I need to bring out a vet. Now if you will excuse me, I have to start putting the tigers in the cage." Here's what the interviewer heard and printed, "the trainer said he personally feeds and drugs the tiger each day."
Wait a minute, maybe you are not a moron or jealous. Maybe you are a BIG GUN, maybe even bigger then myself, and have done thousands of interviews and already knew that. Are you Josip Marcan? If not, you are not a BIGGER GUN then myself and haven't done any where near the interviews I have, or Adam eventually will. Please be kind enough to post your name in your next feeble comment and I will be pleased to post your few interview's and misquote you all day long. FYI they also mis-spelled Hawthorn, and the show is not under a "big top", it is under a roof.

Wade Burck

adam said...

To anonymous

First off let me set the stage for this interview.

This was done on the first day of the engagement. Having just finished three shows on Saturday in Missoula mt them having to drive 800 miles to minot on Sunday only to find out that there was an unscheduled 10 am morning kiddie show. So that fact , the fact that I had only slept for about 3 hours , then to have a knock at my trailer door 30 minutes before the show while I am trying to get ready and get the cats ready asking me to do a tv interview. So yes mandy my math was a little off but under the sercomstances I think it went very well. So I am sorry to you anonymous goof who can't even put your name I will try to do better for you next time. P.s. Just courious as to how many news interviews you have participated in? Would love to read a few to see how it is done.

adam said...

Just a side note to this post.

Just to show that the news doesn't always get it right I received a call from my grandmother 2 weeks ago very upset that I had not told her that I was in Fargo nd at the shrine date there. I told her that I wasn't in Fargo bit in fact working in Oregon. Apparently on the local news they had a big news story about me being from nd and coming back there to work. They even had video of me in the building washing and taking care of the tigers. I in fact was in Fargo and I in fact did do that interview 5 years ago. I haven't been back there since but apparently that are still running that story advertising me being there. So no the news isn't always right.