Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Cincinnati

Above is Cincinnati with General Grant 1869. During the Civil War Grant dreamed of the day the war would be over and he would be free to train horses. Although horse's were basically a mean's of transportation in the 19th century, to Grant it appears(understandably) they were much, much more. In his memoirs Grant writes "I am looking forward longingly to the time when we can end this war and I can settle down on my St. Louis farm and raise horses. I love to train young colts and when old age comes on, and I get to feeble to move about, I expect to derive my chief pleasure sitting in a big arm chair in the center of a ring-a sort of training course, holding a colt's leading line in my hand, and watching him run around the ring."

Cincinnati, in the middle surrounded by stable mates Jeff Davis(captured war booty from the Battle of Vicksburg) and Egypt(came from Illinois and was a gift to Grant) all survived the Civil War to enter the White House stables when General Grant became President Grant in 1869

No comments: