Friday, February 19, 2010

Equine devotee faces 42 counts of animal abuse


The founder and onetime president of the Arabian Horse Club of Greater Toledo was charged Monday with 42 counts of animal cruelty after severely malnourished horses were discovered at her farm.

Robin Vess, 54, of Oak Harbor was charged with the second-degree misdemeanors in Ottawa County Municipal Court days after authorities removed 37 animals from her Carroll Township property.

Each cruelty charge carries a penalty of up to 90 days in jail and a $750 fine.

Ms. Vess has been an advocate for Arabian horses and was credited with setting up the first Arabian and Half Arabian Charity Show at the Lucas County Fair in 1990.

In an interview with the Blade in 1989, Ms. Vess said she was a longtime horse lover.

“I’ve been horse-crazy since I was little,” Ms. Vess said.

Rescuers arrived at her farm at 3140 North Behlman Rd. last week, acting on an anonymous tip to the Humane Society of Ottawa County.

The rescuers said they found at least 37 emaciated horses, suffering from malnutrition and dehydration.

Five horses had to be euthanized.

Thirty-one of the animals were taken to the Sandusky County Fairgrounds in Fremont, where Humane Society volunteers are tending to them.

Linda Logan, a former friend, said she had known Ms. Vess since 1987 and helped her set up the Arabian Horse Club.

She said at the time she was impressed with how Ms. Vess cared for her horses.

“I thought she was nice, very knowledgeable. She had it together. Her barn was very nice, her horses were nice,” Ms. Logan said.

However, Ms. Logan said their relationship deteriorated.

She said at times she became concerned that Ms. Vess’ horses were too thin.

Tom Fitzgibbon, current treasurer for the Arabain Horse Club of Greater Toledo, said Ms. Vess left the club about four years ago. He declined to elaborate on the reasons for her departure.

Terry Figueroa, who heads the Arabian Rescue Mission in Colesville, N.J. and whose organization was involved in the rescue operation, said she’s been receiving calls from anxious breeders whose horses were at the Vess farm.

“They’re just mortified,” Ms. Figueroa said.

Humane Society President Lisa Ramirez said it would take at least a month for the animals to recover.

“We’re doing the best we can to get the poor things back to some kind of health,” Ms. Ramirez said.

She said many people have come forward offering to adopt the animals.

However, she said the horses will have to stay at the fairgrounds right now because they are too weak and too sickly to move.

She said the cost of caring for the horses “is well into the thousands of dollars already.”

Many breeders who had horses at the farm are hoping to get their animals back.

Ms. Logan said she hoped to retrieve a Russian Arabian horse that she traded with Ms. Vess several years ago.

She said she spotted a picture of her former horse in the newspaper and was shocked.

“I was just devastated, totally devastated. How could somebody do that?” Ms. Logan said.

“I just want to get [the horse], put her on my cousin’s farm, and let her live out the rest of her life.”

The gates at the entrance to Ms. Vess’ farm were chained shut yesterday and a sign read “No Trespassing.”

A truck and two cars were parked in the driveway. Ms. Vess did not return a phone call seeking comment.

A court date has not been set in the case.
____________________________________________________________________

Well, it proved out just the way I assumed it would. I posted this story a week ago, and it generated less then a half dozen comments. The most "scorching" having to do with "idiot towners". No government conspiracy takeovers, no charges of not being "with it and for it", no accusations of my self being a peta shill, no charges of not "supporting one of my own", and most telling no far left legal advocacy group playing chicken little and telling me the sky was falling. If you recall when I posted the Hoffman feline confiscation, and Von Uhl elephant confiscation, I told you how it was going to play out. It is always somebody else's fault, and the world is full of bandit's out to get us circus folks. The "history channel" post's pictures of Riddles Sanctuary, where their elephants were sold, and not only is there not an objection, there is accolades about what a wonderful place it is. Post pictures of Buckleys place or Derbys place and see the venom fly. What makes them different? Oh yes, that's right. Riddles, breds elephants, and buys them from friends, and the others don't breed them, and take them as gifts. Zoo's will breed them, so why can't they be elephant sanctuaries? If you are a "sanctuary" are you not for profit? If you buy elephants, is it from donations given, or profits made? Does buying elephant and breeding it mean it will have a better quality of life, over the one's donated and not bred? Where do the offspring go? To the bad zoo's? To the circus? Or are they kept for future breeding?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you realize it, but this blog is the most unique thing that has ever been in circus history. You might be the first person ever who has a personal interest in the business who is willing to see things with a critical eye. The Ned issue comes to mind. When that story broke, not a single word on the other blog. In fact the last picture of 'One Dollar Ned' on there was when he still on one foot.
Contrast that with the Arabian story when just about every legitimate Arabian owner came forward to express outrage, donations and offers to adopt poured in. It gives a bit more validity to claims of being an animal lover doesn't it?

adam said...

U am going to wait to hear Jp try and defend this lady, but I am still waiting to hear the responces to my questions from a few days ago so I am not going to hold my breath

Wade G. Burck said...

Anonymous,
Most folks don't realize it, as it has been a while, but the idea to start this blog was presented to me by three other individuals, with all of us listed as Consultants on the home page, to be a counter point to "censored" comment's and "one sided" responses, on the "history channel. One of them had enough "geek" in them to be able to set the blog up, and we were up and running. After two weeks two of them asked to be removed as Consultants as they were taking a lot of heat from folks in the industry for being "heat merchants", and 4 weeks later, the one who got it up and running asked to be taken off of as a Consultant also. That left my self. When all the rat's left the ship, my son Adam came to me, and said, "list me as a Consultant, Pops". I felt it was a necessary and useful blog, and told my son, "If you want, I will put your name on, but it is probably going to get real nasty and spiteful, if you are not with it and for it, in the warm and fuzzy world known as the Circus. Plus you are still working in it, but me, I'm an old man, and I have nothing to lose, and only your future to gain. I have been dead in the middle of controversy most of my life, so it's familiar territory for me. I will still love and respect you, if you want to re-consider. With all the courage of a man and a wild animal trainer, he said, "I'll take a beating with you Pops, sign me up."
I joined the circus many long years ago, because I loved animals, and specifically the training of animals. No other reason. I never thought about performing, have no roots, and it wasn't anything like the Toby Tyler story. Only animals, and the Greatest Show on Earth. Now I have beautiful Arabian horses, to fill the "wild animal void." Training animals is the air in my lungs, and I hope to drop dead in the middle of a training session, when my number is called. The greatest way to go, after a full and complete life of animal training. Owning them is not the thrill. Them allowing me to be a part of their world is.
Wade