Saturday, August 22, 2009

Memories--How time flies as I cherish my childhood

The pump above is where we used to wash our face and hands after finishing with "barn chores". The roof, hanging on the right was where the "butcher steer" was kept. I remember the day I heard a gunshot behind the barn, and when out to investigate. There was my father and Uncle Ralph "bleeding" the steer. I was so upset, and thought they were the worst men in the world. A few days later, when I was eating a great hamburger, I had forgiven them.

This is where learned the lost art of milking a cow. I never did develop the accuracy that Uncle Ralph had. He could squirt a cat straight in the mouth from 20 foot away, under his arm.


This is all that is left of the barn that Uncle Ralph built. It is where I used to keep my pony, Dynamite in the winter time. In the summer he was brought to our house in Turtle Lake, 12 miles away, and my father and mother graciously permitted me to keep him in the garage. In the fall, I rode him back to Uncle Ralph's, until the following summer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These are great. Sincerely Paul