Sunday, March 15, 2009

For Clean Raul--New Goat Recipe


Last Wednesday we had a cold rainy night and the next morning a number of my neighbor's goats died. This one was trying very hard to die. I took it to my barn and tried getting it warm. I called a friend down the road that raises goats. She brought over some milk and said we needed to get him warm fast or he was going to die. She said the quickest way was put him in the oven.
Yes, after I realized she was serious we headed to the house.
Recipe is as follows:
Wrap goat in towels.
Preheat oven to lowest temperature in this case was 170.
Place goat on lower rack and bake with door open like you would if you were broiling.
When temperature gets up turn off oven.
Check your goat every 20-30 minutes. Feed him formula. Rub him. Turn him over and put back in oven and start procedure again.
This goat slow-cooked for about 5 hours.
When the buzzer goes off you have a healthy goat that I've named, Twice-Baked.

And,
Thank God for Self Cleaning Ovens.

Jody:)

Courtesy of Jody Cambell

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I prefer my goat in a curry sause and spanish rice cook in a pit using only mesquite coals with a side dish of pinto beans ranchero style .CleanRaul

Rebecca Ostroff said...

wow, that is amazing..My question is how hot did it really get ????
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

as hot as the coal get specialy if you wrap it in wet banana leaves and bury it with coal in the bottom as well as on top . CleanRaul . ps that should be hot enough and juicy . you will be the talk of the town .

Anonymous said...

Jody, thank you for sending this in.

Rebecca, back in the day when my grandmother and great-grandmother were young women, many babies were born at home. If the baby was premature, it was often kept in a shoe box on the oven door (not in the oven) to keep warm, in lieu of in an incubator. Surprisingly, these babies survived. A friend of my mother's was one of them.

Raul, I remember in the early days of this blog, you asked if anyone knew how many subspecies of zebras there have been and how many are in exsitence now. You offered some goat tamales to whoever got the answer right.

Mary Ann

Anonymous said...

Your welcome Mary Ann.

Rebecca, I didn't ever stick a meat thermometer in him so I don't know how hot he actually got. His surroundings were 170 minus whatever heat escaped the oven from the open door. It was amazing how at first he couldn't even raise his head or move his legs. Hours later he was ready to jump out. I honestly don't think I would have believed it unless I had seen it myself. Personally I think that wrapping it in an electric blanket would have gotten the same results but it was easier for me to give up the oven....

Update on Twice Baked.
I found a woman on Craigslist that had lost a kid (goat) and was looking for an orphan for her nanny. Twice Baked left yesterday to his new home and is doing well.

Sorry Raul, this was the cabrito that got away.....