Saturday, December 27, 2008

Mafra Palace Military and Civilian School of Equitation--Marfa, Portugal

The Mafra National Palace is a monumental Baroque and Italianized Neoclassical palace-monastery located in Mafra, Portugal . Its dimensions are so huge that it dwarfs the city. The palace-monastery is said to be Portugal's attempt to rival the Spanish palace at Escorial outside Madrid.



This equestrian demonstration by the Mafra Equestrian School, is nice but I think it is lacking in the precision of the Spanish Riding School. You sure can't go wrong with this music though. The grey horses look like Lusitano's. Any thoughts on what the bays are? Trakehners? If you click the icon by the gold line this will go to full screen.

Courtesy of Chris


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice presentation and I enjoyed watching it. You are correct in the precision although I thought this one was done well. I think the difference is the quality of the riders.Some were riding with too short stirrups making them look cramped and a little amateurish. The horses seem to be well trained but due to rider errors it was not as well done. I also was bothered by some of the facial expressions of the riders during the ride, I saw none of that in Vienna. Hard to beat the Spanish Riding School I think.