Thursday, December 4, 2008

For Mary Ann




It is amazing how all tiger cubs born at Hawthorn, who have their first "bad" experience with humans when a balding, white haired man with a beard named Dr. Ryberg vaccinated them, reacted hysterically to any balding, white haired man with a beard who walked into the barn for the rest of their lives. They never displayed the same reaction on the road or away from their birth place. He used to call me before he came into the barn, in case I was training anything. He walked in on a training session inadvertently 4 years ago, and 16 tigers flew off their seat's and tried to go out over the top of the cage. I will remind all young animal trainers, "be careful what you do to them today, and be sure it is necessary, because you will be dealing with it for the rest of your life. Good experience's need to be reinforced over and over, due to the "suss" nature of animals. Bad experience only need to happen once."


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wade, thank you for sharing this. It's really not too surprising when you think about it.
Mary Ann

Anonymous said...

Wade,
Those are adorable. Please put them on the "Need to be cuddled" list...

Anonymous said...

Jody, I never have a problem with cuddling any baby felines. When Wade took us out to Animal Gardens, I quickly discovered the room with the kittens, and cradled the most adorable cream tabby. I would have loved to take her home but we already have the three littermates that we handraised, and their mother and brother live in our yard in a heated house (all spayed and neutered, of course).
Mary Ann

Wade G. Burck said...

Mary Ann,
That wasn't a cream tabby, that was a WHITE tabby!!!! They are mythical gift's from God and the Celestial Cattery. A cross between Morris and Helena.
Wade

Anonymous said...

Wade, I don't know if I would go that far LOL. If that were the case, I was a fool to pass her up. However, she was rare and beautiful. I melted when she fell asleep on her back in the crook of my arm.
Mary Ann

Wade G. Burck said...

Mary Ann,
I know about that melting deal. It happened to me one time. Only it wasn't a kitten. It was a beautiful lady.
Wade

Anonymous said...

Wade, only one time?
Mary Ann

Wade G. Burck said...

Mary Ann,
Scenario thousands of times. Actual melting, once.
Wade