Sunday, November 2, 2008

Government Regulated Wild Animal Trainer's License?

A number of week's ago I raised the issue here and on the "history channel" asking what is a Government issued Animal Trainers license, as I was lead to believe for years it was a license qualifying your expertise as an animal trainer. Again it is a subject that nobody wants to touch publicly. I assumed a large number of individuals with the "license" would have been pleased and proud to set the record straight. For years when American Animal Trainers heard someone say, "I am a Government Regulated Animal Trainer," in interviews or publicly, we looked at each other and said, "what is that?" It has lead a vast amount of people to think that if you have one, you are more qualified then someone who doesn't have one, or they aren't as qualified as you. Yet not a single Animal Trainer from around the world on two blogs asking for clarification, felt a need to "clarify." It is called "self serving paper," and there are few thing's in this industry that don't need clarification for that exact reason. Below is the only response's that were forthcoming on the "history channel.":

Wade G. Burck said...

Sue,
What is a "Government Registered Animal Trainer?" I have attempted to find out about that for a number of years, but can't seem to find any information about it. The folks I know who are "registered" are pretty closed lipped about it. Apparently you get a card or certificate, but nobody has offered to show me one. Is it just in the United Kingdom or is it worldwide. Who is required to become registered, and what are the requirements?
Thank you,
Wade Burck

08 October, 2008 10:28

Delete
Anonymous Sue Lenz said...

As Rudi & I have been in the USA for the last forty years, I am not sure what the requirements are now in the UK as far as “Government Registered Animal Trainer.” are concerned.

I can tell you that it used to be that everyone that worked with animals had to have a “Performing Animal (Regulation) Act 1925” Certificate of Registration.

You had to list which animals you were working with and also list every trick and prop used. Also the address of where the animals are to be trained.

I got mine in 1955 and had to get it updated a few times when I started to work with different animals.
I still have mine and find it fun to read, Then one realizes how fortunate I was to grow up in UK and had the opportunity of working in so many acts with animals.

On my certificate the animals listed, 12 Ponies, 7 Liberty Horses,
2 High School Horses, (That I never did) but Bertram Mills Circus added it, 24 Dogs, 3 Sea-lions, 2 Elephants, 9 Cats, 40 Pigeons, 4 Flamingos, 4 Geese, 2 Toucans, 4 Cranes, 2 Cockatoos, 3 Macaws, 8 Chimpanzees.

As Rudi never worked with any other animal other than chimps, his just says 8 Chimpanzees.

08 October, 2008 20:06

Blogger Wade G. Burck said...

Sue,
Thank you. So it's not like an actual test/exam for example a Doctor or Lawyer would take, or a truck driver would take to get a CDL? I have searched the internet and any other sources available for a number of years for information about qualifying. I have been told everyone has to have one, regardless of Nationality to train/work/present animals in Europe and Great Britain, yet as I say I can find no information at all about it. I haven't even been able to get somebody to show me their card/document/diploma etc. Possibly information will be forthcoming in an open forum.
Gosh Sue, folks are going to assume Rudy has been like an anchor around you neck. LOL Maybe we should point out that by "specializing" he became better then anybody else at his chosen craft.
Regards,
Wade

08 October, 2008 22:58

I had a number of private responses, so we have to assume everybody missed the post on the "history channel" as well as here. So we will give Animal Trainers of the world another opportunity for "clarification" of a Government Regulated Wild Animal Trainer. We also have an organization here in America called USDA which requires, an Exibitor's Permit, and it speaks nothing to the Training skill of the individual holding it. What do you think?

From Europe--"This Government Trainers thing.....I agree more or less with you.
What is this thing of qualification on European blogs? Crazy"

From England--"I too have a feeling that the government regulation bit is self-created. That said, as a certain person has a "farm" where his animals spend the off-season, he will need official clearance for that, to ensure that the animals are well cared for, and that there will be no danger to the public from escaped animals."

From the United States--I emailed the secretary of the states office in Bristol England to ask about applying for a wild animal trainers license. Some one there sent me this link and said I would have to list specific animals I intended to import, or what and whose animals I intended to train while working in the UK. This looks alot like the USDA application, and doesn't have much to do with "training"
http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-countryside/gwd/wildact.htm
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

No comments: