Wednesday, July 30, 2008

For Laszlo

This is the time when I am familiar with Konyot. In the early 50's he moved to the Chicago area, and started training Arabian horses, which were a relatively new breed to the United States, and some of the greatest early breeders were from Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, and Iowa. Konyot trained a number of Champions in he art of High School, and his great work did much to promote and make the Arabian horse known to the American public. His name is still mentioned with reverence today by old breeders of the Arabian horse. Note the checker board on Kamlahs hip. That's pure class. The stable where Kamlah was stalled at the Indiana State Fair Grounds is still used today. Last year when I was there with my son Adam, who was doing a show, I went inside and imagined the year 1953, a year before I was born, when Konyot and Kamlah rocked the Arabian horse world with their performance. Nobody could tell me what stall he was in or where Konyot kept the tack, so that sucked.

No comments: