Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Has anybody read about this study done by Steve O'Brien, David Wildt, and Mitchell Bush?

As the cowboy song say, "my hero's have always been different", and I have reached a point in my life where I am not going to apologize or justify that difference any more. I also have an autographed 8X10 of the first Eland to Eland embryo transfer, and the first Eland to Bongo embryo transfer signed by Dr. Betsy Dressler of the Cincinnati Zoo, who performed the transfers shortly after the Bronx's ground breaking Gaur to Holstein transfer. As soon as I locate them, and the picture of the first herd of Tarpan that Catskill imported to the United States, I will post them, as I want to address using existing species to recreate an extinct species. Dr. Bush came to the circus as my guest, when ever we played Washington, D.C. A fellow Vet who did major work with their gorillas always declined the invitation, as he ethically disapproved of the "training and performing of animals". I have always respected another's philosophies, and never assumed it was "my world". But I questioned that gentleman's, when he became Ringling Bros. Veterinarian, after the retirement of Dr. Richard Houck. Don't get me started on hypocrites.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dr. Betsy L. Dresser also transfered tiger embryos into a lion, but none were ever born. I think she had a successful birth of a test tube gorilla. There has been talk of cloning Snowflake, and they froze his testicles, so he may yet father more offspring.

Wade G. Burck said...

Paul,
A new Snowflake, so that further studies could be done, would be one of the greatest arguments for cloning.
Regards,
Wade