Tuesday, May 13, 2008

An example of a behavior that you could not train if you tried. It is truly a gift.

8 tigers used to jump through the fire hoop, 6 gold followed by Ika and Ari. As Ari went through I ran under neath him to the front for a compliment. When I turned to remove the hoop, both Ika and Ari would run up behind me, and jump on me and knock me down. A real crowd pleaser to say the least. After Ika was removed from the act, Ari continued doing it for about a month, and then quit forever. It is something that was not trained, and they just did it. I have always advocated not doing the same thing over and over, but to be vigilant for something unexpected.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wade, that really is amazing! You seem to have a gift for perceiving what the cats like to do, and then encouraging it.
Mary Ann

Wade G. Burck said...

Mary Ann,
It is another fault that comes from not being bound by tradition. You don't know something isn't possible, because nobody to you it wasn't. You tend to look at a house different, walking in for the first time, or living there for numerous generations.
Best,
Wade