Sunday, September 28, 2008

Apologies to Jim Stockley

Jim, I posted your two other comments, in reference to Duke loosing his tusk, which lead me to find additional information that he had lost the other one. I don't know where the comments went and they appear to have disappeared. I am very sorry.
I would like to address this question to both you and Dan Koehl for your insight/expertize. I had a female African elephant, pictured above(4th from the left, in case you chaps can't identify the African amongst the Asians. LOL) and below with only a right tusk. When I inquired when it had broke off, I was told that it wasn't broke off, but had actually been driven up into the cheek area. It seems she had been knocked down in a fight 6-7 years prior and fell face forward on the asphalt and the tusk was pushed up into her cheek/cranium. Sure enough, if you put your hand deep in the tusk cavity you could just feel the end of the tusk and if you looked at Joy(the elephant) face on, the left side of her cheek had a slight bulge just below the left eye. X rays confirmed the full tusk was up there but she never appeared to suffer any discomfort because of it. I have asked a number of individuals about something like this, and nobody seems to have heard of it or seen something like that before. Thank you


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have heard of this once before - it was either Artie or Tuffy from Riddle's. I believe the story was that the bull had fallen head first off a tub and jammed either one or both tusks into his head, breaking them. May be mistaken on the details but the story is present.

Wade G. Burck said...

Ryan,
Joy's tusk wasn't broke, except at the very root. It was 2 1/2 feet long when it "shoved up". As I said, if you felt way up in the empty socket, you could just feel the end. She never had an infection or anything. The tusk just disappeared up her cheek.
Wade