Monday, March 2, 2009

"Gajarajan" Guruvayoor Kesavan (1904-1976)????


Zoological Historian Richard Reynolds sent the above picture taken in 1946 of American elephant trainer Louie Reed, on the right with the white jacket on a trip to India in which the immortal Tommy/King Tusk was purchased. RJR speculates on whether the elephant above may be Guruvayoor Kesavan pictured below? It is hard to tell because the only pictures I have of Kesavan, and the only ones I can find online are of an older elephant who has started to sink in the side of the head as older elephants will. It also appears to me that Kesavan was a taller, more long legged elephant then the one above. Again given his age on any photos available, it is hard to tell.


I have the picture below in my collection of an elephant named Nanu Ezhuthasan Srinivasan. Looking at the pigment that he is starting to lose around his eye, and the diameter of his tusks at the base, he looks to me like an elephant who may have grown up to be the one pictured at the top in 1946. Does anyone else have any thoughts? Or access to any pictures of a young Guruvayoor Kesavan? I mentioned to RJR that he and I spend as much time wondering about the name's of long dead animals, as young Thomas Bohner does wondering about the names of animals in somebody cage act. In all fairness, I should not give Thomas a hard time for that. LOL Any of you animal folk's will know of the sickness of which I speak. LOL


Is a mature male Asian elephant not the most Godlike, humbleing creature you will ever see?

No comments: